permittingMany large and small scale conservation projects require permits from a number of local, State, and even Federal agencies. When planning a project on their land, landowners and land managers often wonder when a permit may be required.

Some common projects that may require permits include removing obstructions or debris from creeks and streams, stabilizing eroding land, including gullies and streambanks, and improving rural roads. Permits are almost always required when:

  • Working in or near a waterway, riparian area, or wetland.
  • Grading land or clearing vegetation
  • Working in any area where endangered species may be affected.

Navigating the permit process can be costly, confusing, frustrating, and time consuming. The RCD has expertise in securing the permits landowners may need before starting work. The RCD can help landowners secure required permits, including permits issued by the County of Santa Cruz, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, the US Environmental Protection Agency, the Regional Water Quality Control Board, the Army Corps of Engineers and the California Coastal Commission.

In addition to providing technical assistance with securing permits, the RCD has a “Permit Coordination” program that streamlines the permitting process for 15 different types of conservation projects that meet certain guidelines and specifications and may speed the process and substantially decrease the cost for some projects.

Funding may be available to assist landowners who are interested in permit assistance.

Contact Us

  1. Name(*)
    Invalid Input
  2. Email(*)
    Invalid Input
  3. Phone(*)
    Invalid Input
  4. Interest (Check All That Apply)

    Invalid Input
  5. How Can We Help?
    Invalid Input
  6. Enter Code(*)
    Enter Code
    Invalid Input

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Upcoming Events

Contact Information

Resource Conservation District
of Santa Cruz County

820 Bay Avenue, Suite 136
Capitola, California 95010

Phone: (831) 464-2950

RCD Board meetings are normally held the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 6:30pm. Click here for Agendas and Minutes.