Resource Conservation Districts have had a presence in Santa Cruz County since 1941, when the Pajaro RCD was formed in South County. In 1949, the central portion of the County formed the Redwood RCD to serve its growing needs. As the County began to grow in population, and development began to encroach on more mountainous and sensitive land, the two RCDs recognized the need to address the resource issues beyond the boundaries of the two districts. In 1978, the Directors of the Districts petitioned the Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) to extend the District boundaries countywide, excluding the territories of the four incorporated cities. This new District was named the Santa Cruz County Resource Conservation District (now the Resource Conservation District of Santa Cruz County, or RCD of SCC) with a service area of over 260,000 acres. The City of Capitola was subsequently annexed to the District in 1983, at the request of the City of Capitola.